When you’re living with a gluten allergy, it’s easy to believe you can’t have your favorite foods anymore.
With the increased popularity of gluten allergies and Celiac disease, more and more options are becoming available to buy gluten-free food. There’s next to nothing that can’t be made gluten-free these days.
A gluten allergy shouldn’t – and won’t – keep you from enjoying all your favorite foods, especially cake.
What is Gluten?
According to The Celiac Foundation, gluten is the general name for the protein found in most grains. Examples of some of the common sources of gluten are wheat, durum, semolina, spelt, rye, and barley.
Someone with Celiac disease or a gluten allergy can’t eat anything containing these products or depending on how severe the allergy, products that have been cross-contaminated. This list can include oats, pasta, bread, cereal, and soup, but it’s always advised to read the label of any processed food to see if there are hidden gluten ingredients.
Because of how sensitive many people with a gluten allergy are to the protein, it’s easy to think that there are no alternatives and that many favorite foods are off the table.
There are many flour alternatives out there. Using gluten-free cake flours means that favorite foods are not off the menu anymore! Here’s how to make gluten-free cake with alternative flours:
- Almond flour. Almond flour is full of Vitamin E, heart-healthy fats, and is particularly high in protein due to its nutty nature. It’s perfect for a denser baked treat such as brownies or blondies and can also be used in savory recipes to replace breadcrumbs.
- Rice flour. Rice flour is available in both white and brown varieties, each with their own health properties. It’s made from very finely milled rice and is used as a substitute for more traditional baking, such as bread. It can also be used to create rice noodles.
- Amaranth flour. This seed is over 8,000 years old! It was super popular among ancient civilizations, such as the Mayans and Aztecs, and is known affectionately as the Food of the Gods. Because of its nuttier flavor, it’s best for cookies, especially if you mix it with oil or applesauce to give it a bit of moisture.
- Potato flour. Made from dehydrated and ground potatoes, this flour has a much earthier flavor than any of the other alternatives. It’s perfect for savory baking, such as bread and waffles, and for adding thickness to soups and sauces.
- Buckwheat flour. Buckwheat is another ancient grain, commonly referred to as groats. The flour can be bought as is or it can be made at with a high-speed It’s very high in fiber and protein and gives a nutty flavor. Use buckwheat flour in muffin and bread recipes.
Best flour for cake
With so many different flour alternatives, it can be hard to know which one is best for those fluffy cakes. The breakdown above gives you a good idea of what you can use.
For a simple substitution of flours, your local supermarket might actually have a gluten-free cake flour option. This is usually a blend of different flour alternatives and can be used as an all around substitute for any type of baking.
Different single origin gluten-free flours, as seen above, can impact the texture of a cake or other baked good, and many gluten-free bloggers recommend creating a flour mixture yourself. The most recommended homemade blend contains both white and brown rice flours, arrowroot powder, and potato starch. Experiment to see what works best for your personal baking.
All those extras
The great thing about gluten-free cake is that it’s only the cake that needs to be adjusted gluten free. The rest of the ingredients are usually naturally sans gluten – rejoice!
That means all the buttercream frosting, fondant icing, and marzipan – all gluten free – so you can keep making extravagant, beautiful, professional looking cakes.
Plus, gluten-free cakes can be decorated with all the fruit, jelly, cream cheese, and chocolate as needed.
We Take The gluten-free cake
Of course, if you don’t have time to make your own gluten-free desserts, We Take The Cake offers the best of the best in gluten-free cakes for sale. We truly believe that our cakes should be enjoyed by everyone. We have many gluten-free options to choose from. Contact us to find out more about our delicious, handmade cakes.